www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Evolution of a snake making journey or how to not FREAK OUT when your great idea is not so great...

I have been working on making a snake head for the past week and a half. Well, I'm starting with the head first and then will come the body.

I started with a basic idea: bubble wrap to shape the body and prdovide a "scaly" texture, tape to hold it together, acrylic paint to cover it with. Well, the bubble wrap evolved to bubble wrap covering a cardboard shape. I needed a pattern of sorts to cover the bubble wrap with. The tape worked well holding everything together and defining a shape. The acrylic paint?? No so great. It was taking layer of paint to cover the plastic bubbles. My studio mate suggested using Gesso which was thicker. BINGO! it worked. Much better coverage with a large paint brush. The bubble wrap though I'm learning takes the Gesso only so well. If its not painted over with other paint immediately after drying,  it cracks off. BIG DRAG. My next step  for the body is to reverse the bubble wrap where the bubbles are face down. The smooth side takes the Gesso and paint easier and won't crack off. There will be a slight bubble texture on the body but it won't be as smooth as the body. HEY...maybe I'll keep the bubbles outward on top and facedown on the bottomside of the snake. I'll try it!! Isn't this just TOO INTERESTING.

My snake making journey or HOW TO NOT FREAK OUT WHEN YOUR GREAT IDEA IS NOT SO GREAT!!

Here's pics to show my progress on the head:








Second section of body will be formed today but actual birth is days away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment