www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Healing Embrace - experience becomes art

Healing Embrace 
altar installation 
at
SOMArts 2012 Dia de los Muertos Exhibit
__________________________________

My altar installation is almost complete. A few more flowers have to be made and then I can step back and enjoy the end results. So far I am amazed to see an otherworldly experience I had, become a visual statement of art. I feel a combination of happiness, satisfaction, sentimentality. All feelings are very powerful. I also feel very relieved to have this experience out of my head and onto an art form that can be shared with many.

Artist Henson Flye, created the fabulous hands in my altar. After meeting with him and sharing my experience, sketches, some background info on what my Dad was like, he put together an amazing sculpture of hands made from chicken wire and tape. Together we painted the hands white then inserted white lights to illuminate the hands with amazing results.

 If you live or happen to be visiting the San Francisco Bay Area, Calling on the Spirits is opening this Friday, October 12th  and runs through November 10th.

Here are more details:
Opening Reception, Friday, October 12, 6–9pm, $7–10 sliding scale admission. 
Tickets: http://callingonthespirits.eventbrite.com  

What: Calling on the Spirits to Face the Future: Día de los Muertos 2012
When: October 13–November 10, 2012
Where: 934 Brannan St. (between 8th & 9th)
How Much: Free admission
Gallery Hours: Tuesday–Friday, 12–7pm, Saturday 11am–5pm, Sunday, 11am–3pm


_________________________________________________

Here's a few new photos of Healing Embrace:



No comments:

Post a Comment