www.flickr.com

Sunday, October 18, 2009

So many good things happening without many online sales!




With all my posts on Facebook,my Twittering,blogging and on and on, I think I am getting my work and name out in cyberland. Within the last 3 days, I've been featured on 3 Etsy Treasuries. After months of very dry spells and what felt like no recognition anywhere, this happens. I'm in a state of shock! I am ALWAYS grateful to Indie Spotting for posting the work I send in on their Indie Finds. This is so helpful in promoting my work! Today, I also got an email from the Staff Picks Department at 1000 Markets that said my Frida's Menagerie Tray was chosen as one of the staff favorites. Unbelievable!!

Well this is all really, really good stuff. The interesting thing about all of this wonderful PR is that I haven't had any Etsy sales in about 2 months. What do I think about this? Well, I know my designs are very specific. Not everyone is going to go for them. I also know my prices are not bargain basement on many things so sales take longer. I also rarely mark down prices or offer specials. So, in the end, my conclusion is that it takes lots of promotion to get people to notice me and for them to actually decide to spend their hard earned money. This reality does not make me angry, frighten me or cause me to close up shop. Again, these times require you to work harder at what you do in order to make sales that a few years ago were much easier to make. This seems to be a fact that I've had to face. Its a challenge and I'm facing it.

Don't know how other small independent businesses are surviving or how consumers see spending their income. Would be really interested however in hearing from you.

Let me know if you can!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the links to the Treasuries on Etsy:

Burning Blue: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=88638

FRIDAKAHLO: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=72319

Gloomy Sunday: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=88397

No comments:

Post a Comment